Content localization can also be referred to as cultural translation, and it is targeted mainly for your local audience based on their interest and their dialects. Content localization compromises of three different components:
- Translation: Translation can be described as encoding the content from one language to another. It is mainly done in the case of technical documents and while sharing basic information.
- Localization: Content Localization is much different and tougher then translation Localization means converting the whole content for a new audience based on their preference, and also changing the measurement and adding words which the local reader can connect to
- Transcreation: Among all the three, this is the highest form of translation when the whole content is rewritten in a different language. In this case, the message is also changed based on the purpose of the content and for also adapting to the culture of the readers.
When the content is translated for marketing purpose, it is essential to rewrite the content in such a way so that the readers could assume that the content is original and was written for them only and it is not being translated. And this is the primary reason why skilled writes who are familiar with the language of the targeted audience are required for rewriting a content. They can understand the language that the local audience can connect to. There have been many instances when you have come across a content which may be perfect in an exact way but sounds unnatural. So, if you are a content marketer, then you have arrived at the right place where you will get to learn about making a content that the audience can easily connect to.
While making content, the first things that you will need to keep track of are the language. Though it is not about Arabic, Hindi, Urdu or Mandarin, it is more the spelling of certain words which differs in U.K. and U.S. English. For example, in U.K. English it is “Colour” while in U.S. English, it is “Color”.
- Format and Design of the content
Another important part of content lies in its design and format. An attractive brochure, web page and media will be easier to circulate and content for reaching its targeted audience. While you are making the design, you need to consider the reading habits of different cultures.
- The sensitivity of visual components
While it may be just another color to you, it may hold some emotional meaning to some other culture or people. Since your content will be global, you need to pay consideration to the choice of the colour and other preferences too such as food, religious beliefs and lifestyle of other cultures.
So, content localization is a bit complex, but once you master it, it will be easier for you to reach a wider spectrum of audience. So, while making content the next time, make sure that you do pay attention to the above tips for better and positive response.